Sunday, February 17, 2008

Kozorogova Smer III+ M5 500m UIAA 4





Managed to get out of bed, just barely, after yesterday's climb in the super cold. Luckily when we got to the parking lot today, at 10am -alpine start enough for me, it was only -8C, so it had warmed up from yesterday. After a casual 45 minute approach we started up Kozorogova Smer. Without a doubt we were the first of the season to climb it, there was evidence that someone backed off the first pitch, which was a bit psychological (35m of M5 without gear), and so was the 2nd, 4th and 6th, as it turned out. The rock was just covered with dry sugar snow. I dinged up my picks pretty good continually swinging into what I thought was ice, but turned out to be this airated junk. Oh well, 500m later we had a great walk across the summit ridge with stunning views. Hope I get to rest tomorrow, but also really hope that Aljaz calls to say "lets' go to Lambada!" About the photos: Top is Begunjska with Kozorogova being the left hand big gully, Irena topping out on P1, the second "crux" pitch, and me with the sunset on the top. As usual you can click on the images to view larger versions.