Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Best Alpine Tool: Cobra


I have been using the new Cobra since last spring when I went to the south (and still unclimbed - good luck Craig and Brad this spring!) face of Logan with Jack Tackle and Jay Smith. I have found it easy enough to pound pins, great for climbing mixed, snow or ice pitches, great for plunging the tool and also think the greatest feature of the tool is the shape. Perfectly balanced, but also I like the smaller grip at the bottom of the tool and in the "matching" position. I have since taken the tools to Pakistan, Nepal and am now climbing with them in Slovenia and am psyched to go to Norway to climb big ice with them. They are so good you can break the team Eiger North Face speed ascent record - see Alpinist.com for the story and photo of Simon Anthamatten -and his Cobras- and partner Roger Schali. Also see my previous post on pick modifications for alpine climbing.