Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2011 Piolet d'Or Nominations: SE Face Logan

The Piolet d'Or nominations are in for 2011, and I really hope that the amazing Japanese team of Yasushi Okada and Katsutaka Yokoyama win for their ascent of the SE Face of Mount Logan (5959m) in Canada. Jack, Jay and I were there a few years ago. It was the greatest trip of my life, spending time with two of the best alpinists around and some of the best people also. We flew to the Canada border from Alaska, skied in (me with pony keg in tow - no joke) and gave it our best shot. This is a compilation of some video that I shot from the trip. Time flies, I always said I would go back, but never did. Jack gave them alot of beta and they named the route after the connection of people, they did a great job climbing the wall in 4 bivies. Congratulations!!!!!!

Check out the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Fabriziozangrilli?feature=mhum

All photos by Fabrizio Zangrilli, all rights reserved.

Low pressure systems everywhere, a long wait in Haynes to fly to the border.





Packing it into two 185 flights was not easy.






The start of the long ski to the SE Face of Logan.






Our BC with nobody around.






Jay getting it done.











Again.